Online Job Application Process
You can get the chance to work at Ontario Public Service by applying online. Below, you can find the detailed information about the hiring process of Ontario Public Service which offers entry-level and managerial positions.
The Ontario Public Service (OPS) is one of the largest employers in the province, employing more than 60,000 people. We have a wide range of meaningful and rewarding career opportunities in communities across Ontario. We welcome new ideas and new people, encourage learning and development, and reward achievement. We offer challenging work and competitive pay and benefits.
The Ontario government has broad responsibilities for the well-being of Ontario and Ontarians. With government involved in so many different lines of business, working in the OPS offers a tremendous range of exciting career opportunities. We employ biologists and lawyers, policy analysts and advisors, social workers and nurses, mechanics and systems analysts, bookkeepers and editors, conservation officers and translators, auditors and economists, urban planners and forest firefighters… and more.
Did you know?
We have our own CSI team. The Biology Section of the Centre for Forensic Sciences in the Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services provides scientific support to investigators who are working to take those who threaten public safety off the streets.
Protecting the environment and human health and safety, our team of Environmental Officers at the Ministry of the Environment’s Spills Action Centre is available 24-7 to receive, document and coordinate responses to reports of spills, adverse drinking water quality incidents and other environmental emergencies for all of Ontario.
At the Archives of Ontario in the Ministry of Government Services, our team stores and restores historical records of provincial life and makes fascinating information on Ontario’s past available to the public.
Promoting and marketing Ontario’s strengths to the world and showing Ontario as a great choice for investment and trade is the task of a team at the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade.
What connects the people doing these jobs and others in the OPS is a commitment to public service. As part of the OPS team, you will help to make this province the best place in the world to live, work and grow.
Apply Online Ontario Public Service Jobs
You can be a member of Ontario Public Service family by completing the hiring process which is explained below. In order to finish the application process, you can use the link provided below to access to the online application Ontario Public Service where you can find out more about the position for which you want to apply.
Our Recruitment Philosophy
Provide employment accommodation during the recruitment process
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request accommodation.
Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require accommodation, should discuss their needs with us.
For instance, someone with a disability may require alternate formats for written materials, or physical adjustments to a computer set-up.
Everyone is different, so we will take into account individual accessibility needs.
Another type of accommodation would be a candidate request to reschedule an interview or testing date because of a religious holiday.
Hire Based on Merit
All our recruitment decisions are based on valid, practical and measurable approaches that ensure hiring on the basis of merit. This means hiring the candidate whose qualifications best meet the requirements to do the job.
Provide Broad Access
We are committed to providing broad access to employment opportunities so that diverse job seekers can apply to positions across Ontario and to ensuring our workforce represents the diverse communities we serve. There are no geographic restrictions on positions available to the public. In addition, we have targeted outreach and advertisements of job opportunities to various communities across Ontario.
Demonstrate our OPS values
Our recruitment process reflects our mission to serve the public interest and uphold the public’s trust. It demonstrates our commitment to our values of trust, fairness, diversity, excellence, creativity, collaboration, efficiency and responsiveness.
Ontario Public Service Application Form/PDF
You can check whether there is printable application form available for Ontario Public Service and you can download it if there is one. You can either submit the application form in person or you can send it via email.
How to Apply for Ontario Public Service Jobs;
1. Choose a Region – As one of the largest employers in the province, we offer work in a variety of locations – we have mapped out five regions based on boundaries we work within: North, East, West, Central and Toronto. Choose the region you are interested in to begin your job search.
2. Search Jobs – You may further refine your job search beyond region by defining some or all of the following:
- CITY – Choose a city within the region. Note: Only cities with active job postings are available to choose from.
- JOB TYPE – Define one or more of the careers streams you are interested in:
- 18 career streams
- French-Language Service (FLS) job opportunities: Positions that require a level of French-language proficiency, which is the ability to communicate in French orally and/or in writing. The candidate will be expected to be proficient in both English and French.
- SALARY MINIMUM – By a minimum salary if a salary range is provided in the job ad
- JOB ID # – By the number assigned as a unique identifier for the job competition
3. Can’t find what you’re interested in? Receive an e-mail notification for up to nine months when new jobs are posted on our website that match the career stream you are interested in. Go to Job Alert to subscribe.
4. Understand the Job Ad – Go to a description of job ad terms Be sure to check out ‘More Info’ and if available, the ‘Job Spec’ also found under the job advertisement to find out more about the position you are interested in. Here you will find out more details about what the job will entail as well as any benefits and entitlements. Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website. If the job posting you are interested in indicates a level of French-Language Service proficiency, and you are selected to continue in the hiring process, your ability to communicate and/or write in French will be assessed and rated against (in decreasing order of proficiency) superior, advanced-plus, advanced, or advanced-minus standards. Proficiency in both English and French is mandatory. Where a ‘personnel screening check’ is noted as a requirement on the job ad, the top applicant will be required to have an OPS security clearance prior to an offer of employment. The evaluation panel will explain this process to candidates in more detail and will include the following:
Verification of personal data (name, address, date of birth) with photo ID
Reference check with previous employers (last five years) and given references
Police records check
Driver history check (for positions requiring a valid driver’s license).
5. Pay attention to the specific application instructions noted in each job ad and be sure that you get your application in by the closing date. We will accept applications until 11:59 pm EST on the closing date.
6. Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications outlined in the job ad. Ensure that you are concise and clearly communicate how your skills, knowledge and experience best meet the qualifications needed to do the job.
7. Apply to the competition via the method stated on the job advertisement. Each advertisement will specify the accepted methods of application for the competition. Be sure to indicate the Job ID# in your application.
- Apply Online: the majority of competitions require that you apply online. This fast and easy method of submitting your application is available to you as specified on the job advertisement. Simply look for the Apply Online Apply Online Icon icon to the bottom left of the job ad and follow the instructions to attach your cover letter and resume as one PDF (.pdf), WORD (.doc, .docx), plain text (.txt) or rich-text file (.rtf).
- Apply by e-mail, Mail or Fax: these methods of application are available to specific competitions only. Please pay close attention to the Contact Information on the job advertisement to determine if these methods of applying can be accepted.
During the recruitment process, applicants have the right to request employment accommodation.
Applicants invited to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) and who require employment accommodation, should discuss their needs with the Recruitment Services Centre via the Contact Information provided on the job advertisement.
8. Check Your Application Status – There are two ways to check the competition status for a competition. (1) When you apply online and provide an e-mail address at the time of application, you will receive an acknowledgement e-mail. It will contain a link that you can access at your convenience to view where we are in the hiring process for that position. Go to our hiring steps for a brief overview of what you can expect. (2) If you do not have an acknowledgement email, you can enter the numerical portion of the Job ID number into the search field on the main OPS Careers page; you will be directed to a copy of the advertisement and the competition status. If the competition status is not available, (e.g. you only see a copy of the job ad) the competition has yet to move forward to the screening stage of the competition.
Only those candidates invited to continue in the recruitment process will be contacted.
If you are invited to participate in our evaluation process, this is your chance to show us how you are the best person for the job. You can expect at least 3 different types of assessments. Most common is an interview, and depending on the qualifications of the job, could include written tests, presentations, etc. If you are contacted you will be provided with additional information about the evaluation process.
9. Check out the Top 10 OPS Interview Tips for preparing for an OPS interview.
10: Learn ‘What to Expect’ if you continue on through our hiring process.