Online Job Application Process
You can get the chance to work at Government of Alberta by applying online. Below, you can find the detailed information about the hiring process of Government of Alberta which offers entry-level and managerial positions.
Join the team that’s proudly working together to build a stronger province for current and future generations of Albertans!
The Alberta government is one of the largest employers in Alberta with over 27,000 employees throughout the province. We are an organization that values respect, accountability, integrity, and excellence. Our employees share a common vision of proudly working together to build a stronger province and make a positive and lasting difference in the lives of Albertans.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, and diverse and rewarding employment opportunities in an environment that encourages continuous learning and career growth.
We have employment opportunities for everyone – students, recent graduates, and those with experience! Some examples of our career opportunities include:
- Finance, Economics and Audit
- Human Resources and Communications
- Legal, Corrections and Enforcement
- Engineering, Science and Technology
- Policy, Planning and Research
- Health and Social Sciences
- Maintenance and Trades
- Culture and Recreation
- Program and Client Services
- Agriculture and Natural Resources
- Management and Executive Management
- Administrative, Information Technology and more!
Apply Online Government of Alberta Jobs
You can be a member of Government of Alberta family by completing the hiring process which is explained below. In order to finish the application process, you can use the link provided below to access to the online application Government of Alberta where you can find out more about the position for which you want to apply.
Eligibility to Apply
To begin or continue working for the Government of Alberta, you must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have a valid work permit issued by the Government of Canada that allows you to work for the Government of Alberta.
Our job opportunities are advertised as either “open” or “limited” competitions.
Open Competitions are available to the general public and current Alberta public service employees.
Limited Competitions are available to employees currently appointed to positions within the Alberta public service. Wage staff (i.e. casual and 2850 hour staff) are not eligible for limited competitions, but are encouraged to apply on open competitions.
After You Apply
If you have specific questions about the competition you applied on, please contact the ministry advertising the competition. Contact information can be found at the bottom of each advertisement or through the Contact our HR Offices listing.
Competition Status – View the status of a competition you applied on by clicking on Competition Status.
Assessing Candidates –
- After the closing date, applications are reviewed according to the qualifications outlined in the job posting, looking for demonstrated evidence of the required education, experience and relevant competencies.
- Candidates whose qualifications most closely match the job requirements are invited to participate further in the selection process. This typically includes an interview and may also involve additional assessment methods such as tests or presentations.
- Interviews are usually handled by a selection panel of two to three members which typically includes:
- the supervisor of the position,
- a human resource professional,
- the manager or director of the program area, and/or
- a technical expert.
- Some applicants may be interviewed initially by telephone. If an in-person interview is required, it is up to the ministry to decide whether interview expenses will be paid. This is done on a case-by-case basis taking into consideration a variety of factors. Relocation assistance may be available depending on the situation. A return service commitment is normally required from individuals who receive relocation assistance.
Selection of the Successful Candidate – Candidates are assessed on their technical and behavioural competencies. After the interview/assessment, pre-employment checks such as reference checks are conducted and the most suitable candidate is selected.
Government of Alberta Application Form/PDF
You can check whether there is printable application form available for Government of Alberta and you can download it if there is one. You can either submit the application form in person or you can send it via email.
How to Apply for Government of Alberta Jobs;
Each ministry is responsible for its own staffing needs and has a Human Resource Office that hires employees on behalf of the Alberta Government.
Each job posting/advertisement is assigned a job ID and indicates the closing date for receiving applications. A separate application must be submitted for each job posting/advertisement you are applying for and should include the job ID. All applications must be received on or before the closing date.
Each job posting/advertisement outlines the qualifications required to be successful in the job, including education, experience and relevant competencies. Your application information should clearly demonstrate that you have the qualifications required in order for you to be considered for the job.
We encourage you to apply on job postings/advertisements that you are interested in, eligible for, and for which you feel qualified, through one of the following channels:
Apply online using the Apply Now button found at the top and bottom of each job posting/advertisement. Online applications are preferred.
- Attach your application information and complete the referral information indicating how you found out about the job.
- When you apply online and provide a valid e-mail address, you will receive an e-mail confirming the receipt of your application.
- By applying online, you will be able to track the status of your application through “My Career Tools”.
- More information and assistance in applying online is available to Current Salaried Employees and to Other Applicants.
Mail or fax your application to the contact specified in the job posting/advertisement.
If you have specific questions about the job, contact the ministry advertising the job. Contact information can be found in each job posting/advertisement or through Contact Our HR Offices.
To learn more about the ministry or the job, visit the ministry’s homepage. Ministry websites can be accessed through the Government of Alberta site which provides a link to each ministry.
When you apply, please be sure to do the following:
- Clearly illustrate in your application information how your competencies make you a strong candidate, paying particular attention to the qualifications outlined in the job posting/advertisement.
- Include the job ID in your application information.
- Provide the complete address and telephone numbers where you may be reached.
- Submit a separate application for each job posting/advertisement you wish to apply on, unless otherwise stated in the ad.
Include a copy of your International Qualifications Assessment Service (IQAS) assessment certificate if your educational credentials were obtained from outside of Canada.
- Keep a record of the job ID as well as the ministry’s address and phone number in case you have an inquiry later on.